[TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R (Bruce Meier N1LN)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Aug 2 13:59:52 EDT 2019

On 8/2/2019 4:06 AM, Bruce Meier wrote:
> My real question could have been simplified by
> asking if anyone has a SteppIR antenna used in a multi rig environment where
> the SteppIR antenna is NOT dedicated to only ONE of the rigs?

I've been doing that for 10 years with the SDR100 controller.  It has a
manual mode that simply  requires that the operator choose the band on
which to operate. There is a pair of Band Up and Down buttons that
changes bands. Works fine.

> I currently
> have 14 different HF antennas and by using Array Solutions StackMatch and
> SIXPAKs I have the flexibility of moving any band group (stack or
> vertical/dipole) of antennas to either rig as long as the other rig is not
> using that band group.  Based on my research and your emails it is my
> current opinion that the SteppIR controller requires band data (frequency)
> information from the rig to "auto tune".

SteppIR has recently introduced a new controller. I have no idea what it
does beyond transfer more dollars from your wallet to theirs. :)

73, Jim K9YC