[TowerTalk] High VSWR

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 30 00:03:58 EDT 2019

Re cable clips guy failure -  With the clips tightened with a torque
wrench, were they re-torqued as mentioned to the specs in the Crosby
catalog?  Were the clips Crosby or some big box Chinese knockoffs?  Was
the cable USA EHS?  Then the best result is 80% of the wire rope
strength up to 7/8".

Nicopress sleeves are better.  Swaged terminals and Spelter sockets are
the best, achieving 100% of wire rope strength since there is no loop or
thimble.  The Crosby Wire Rope End Terminations catalog/user manual is
very informative.

I just completed a number of Nicopress crimp sleeves with my 3' long
crimper on 1/4" 7x19 galvanized.  A serious effort with a handle on the
floor and using my body weight.  So it is off to the rigging shop for
bigger stuff if ever needed.

Grant KZ1W