[TowerTalk] Hardline

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Dec 19 10:55:20 EST 2019

If they roll the 500' of hardline to onto a large reel it is very
manageable, especially if you use a set of reel jacks.

John KK9A

jimlux wrote:

over 500' long.  I have a use for it! HI  I'm just wondering how
(un)flexible it is--how small can it be coiled--and how heavy is it?
Anybody have any experience with it?  A tower service company is doing
the work and all I have to do is haul it off to the (my) junkpile!
I'm hoping this is my lucky day!

We have a bunch (thousands of feet) of similar coax at the JPL club
station (W6VIO).
You can coil it up in 5-6 foot diameter coils without too much trouble.
500 feet is going to be around 500 lbs (it's roughly 1 lb/ft).

So, hauling in the back of a pickup is totally reasonable, but you'll
need something to put it in there and take it out.  I suppose 4-5 people
could carry a 500 foot coil, but it's really unwieldy.

Coiling it would be a lot of work.  Hopefully, the service company will
coil it for you and not just leave it in some random heap.

(if it's full of water, it's a lot heavier <grin>)