[TowerTalk] Help with a Yaesu Rotator

n4ra at aol.com n4ra at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 17:57:57 EST 2019

I need a little help troubleshooting a Yaesu G800DXArotator.  The rotator is about 5 years old and has been working fineso far.  It has been used for turning astack of 6/2/432 yagis – pretty light load. The problem started when I turned full CCW and it wouldn’t return.  My initial suspicion was a limit switch so Iordered a couple and waited for decent weather to remove the rotator from thetower.  I did that this past weekend.Bench testing seems to exonerate the limit switches and theassociated diodes.  The control unit issending +/- 29 VDC to the rotator eliminating the CU and the cable andconnectors.   With the cable connected tothe rotator I measure 29 VDC when the CCW switch is pushed, but only 18 VDCwhen the CW switch is pushed.  The motorbuzzes a little, but will not turn with the 18 volts.  The suspicious unit is the “filter unit” between the limitswitches and the motor.  The filter “looks”OK, but I have no idea how to test it. BTW, no sign of water in the bottom of the housing.Has anyone had experience with this type problem with aG-800DXA/G-1000DXA/G-2800DXA? Regards,Dick  N4RA