[TowerTalk] Fwd: Is there tower mfg aluminum tower like Rohn 25

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 21:27:00 EST 2019

 hi Kevin,

I highly recommend Universal Tower. Their tower sections are very well and precisely made, which is important in case you want to alter your setup later.

My own 85' aluminum tower is a mix of (old) Heights Tower parts and 2 new sections from Universal. I will not recommend you to follow my example but buy everything new from Universal. The big advantage with an aluminum tower is that it's light, mine is total #300. We were two people setting it up. It was raised with a falling derrick.

Through a genius engineering alteration I have four guy wires added which increased the wind resistance from 85 to 125 mph. I have the calculations somewhere but am not sure where so, please, don't ask me to dig them up. I can give you the resulting design, though.

My only concern with an aluminum tower is that it is very springy compared to a steel tower, something you will notice when you climb it. I will NOT recommend you to put up a tower using only section the size of a Rohn 25. Aluminum is not as strong as steel. Follow the recommendations from Universal. They have several ready designed towers for various heights on their web site.

God luck with your tower projects and 73,

Hans - N2JFS