[TowerTalk] 45G Guy Bracket Fit

Byron Tatum bjtatum1 at att.net
Mon Feb 18 09:23:34 EST 2019

Hello-    I ended up with a few sections of the Amerite (American Tower, I believe) 45G in my inventory over the years. It never occurred to me to check these ahead of time. I am starting up with 2 45G towers. I installed a guy bracket for first level of guys and found the rungs on "Z" bracing are not level with each other. I have always installed a guy bracket where it is resting on top of the rungs of "Z" bracing. This is the first time that I ran into this -- two of the guy bracket sides are resting squarely on the rungs parallel to them but the third side of guy bracket is not parallel to that rung; the rung is sloped very slightly, by about 1/8" from end to end. I would like to leave this section in place but don't like the guy bracket fit. I checked the adjoining rungs and they are made the same way. It is not the guy bracket-I swapped it out with a NOS unused one and saw the same fit.   The result of this is that out at the end of guy bracket assembly where guy wire thimble attaches the attachment 5/8" bolt has a slight slope to it. All of the downward push at this point on guy bracket is against one rung weld instead of being shared by both rung welds. I am considering putting some form of spacer between guy bracket side piece and top side of rung.      I would assume that a guy bracket needs to be resting on the rungs, I don't believe you are supposed to put them anywhere else as they may slide down the tower legs.Just curious how others have dealt with this?Byron W5FH