[TowerTalk] The 15m array succumbed

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Feb 27 17:06:38 EST 2019

Was off work today and I noticed about noontime that my 15m array is no
more.

Apparently the recent snow/ice/wind finally got to it. It broke in half and
is laying in/on the 3'-4' or whatever of snow out in my field.

It's made of PVC and steel pipe and is essentially a 5el Vertical Dipole
Array (similar to ARRL book 40m array) It's freestanding with a heavy
concrete base.  Any ARRL Antenna book has the basic 40m design.

It's quite similar to a K1WA/K8UR/K3LR modded type.

Sometimes it's nice to live up here on the hill...signals are generally good
!

Wind and drifting snow are not my friends!

Oh, and my ZS6BKW for my 2nd radio is mostly open (or shorted?). SWR on most
bands is fluctuating between 6:1 and infinity.

Such is life. Redesign and rebuild I guess..once spring arrives.

Hey-I don't expect sympathy...just putting it out there.  I know we *all*
suffer from this type of tragedy from time to time.  What are your guys
recent  antenna failures?

Blast !  When is spring again?

Mike - VE9AA NB, where it was -30*C here with the windchill this morning.

Mike, Keswick Ridge, NB

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links: