[TowerTalk] Skyhawks on TIC Rings?

Tony Brock-Fisher barockteer at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 21:54:24 EST 2019

When working, the KT36-XA is a great antenna. I believe that compared
other tribanders on a 32' boom, they are the highest performing antenna
you can find. Unlike interlaced tribanders, the XA uses all of the boom
length on all bands, and forward gain is related to boom length, not the
number of elements.

The trouble with the KT antennas is that they are not reliable. Despite
the tremendous mechanical improvements from the M2 revision, water still
gets into the capacitors, resulting in skyrocketing SWR or arcing at
high power.

I've owned, loved, rebuilt, and hated the KT antennas for over 30 years.
I've made several experimental modifications. I started a user group for
them, KTantennas at yahoo.com. I have been successful in keeping the bugs
and debris out of the tubing, but the antenna still fails from moisture
getting in. And once the capacitors get wet, they do not dry out by
themselves, and the antenna must be taken down and rebuilt.

My last experiment was an attempt to hermetically seal the antenna. I
posted a detailed description of this experiment to the KTantennas
group. This worked for 3 years, but recently failed with typical high
SWR and high power issues. This is the second time that the XA has
failed during  a contest season, forcing me to use my 2-element quad
'multiplier' antenna as the main (and only) antenna on the high bands.

So after 30+ years of trying to make this great design reliable for many
years of service, I am forced to face the conclusion that finding a way
to give it environmental longevity  is beyond my technical ability.

Therefore I too will be replacing a KT36-XA with a Skyhawk next spring
when antenna weather returns. I know I am giving up a db or two in
forward gain, but hopefully the Skyhawk, with no traps, will be able to
give me long term service. The reviews all seem to support this vision.

A 'good' antenna  that works is far better than the 'best' antenna that
doesn't.

-Tony, K1KP