[TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Jan 21 12:25:24 EST 2019

I think for 99.9% of us there are antenna compromises that we have to
make. K3LR may be the exception. Modeling just gives us the knowledge to
make efficient use of our resources.

John KK9A

From:	Kelly Taylor VE4XT
Date:	Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:40:37 -0600

I remember being at one of Dean’s presentations in Rochester, Minn., and if I
recall correctly, the value in one model was picking the optimal height
for all
three tribander bands: I don’t know if it was elitism or what, but he didn’t
seem to understand that some contesters may actually be limited in what they
can put up, because when I asked if the flat-terrain model was showing
height x
as a good compromise for the three bands — for contesters able to put up one
antenna only — his response was “but do you want to lose (these peaks)?”

Sometimes it’s not a matter of what you want, it’s a matter of what you
can do.

Still, it did seem to me as though going as high as you can go and waiting
for
the propagation gods to smile upon you would be a waste of money.