[TowerTalk] Tougher antenna rope

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 22 16:07:36 EST 2019

Any rope will fray when moving over a branch.  IMO, Synthetic Textiles
(direct, DXEng, others) makes the most durable short of specialized
arborist rope that has a polymer impregnated outer layer and then in
larger diameters only.  The black dacron/polyester cover is UV proof (20
years?) and the braided core is much stronger than unbraided.

I find the best strategy is to have the over the branch rope grow into
the tree and have a pulley on the end of it with the antenna hoist rope
passed thru and tied in a loop so the end is never lost when the antenna
wire breaks.  Or a separate small pull down line on the insulator tie point.

I also only use marine sailboat blocks.  Lewmar makes a 30mm block for
about $20 that lasts forever, has low friction and doesn't fray the
line.  Harken also makes 20mm to 30mm blocks which sometimes I use when
cheaper.  Hardware store die cast clothesline blocks freeze up or cut
the line in my experience.

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/product/LEW29901321BK.html

"economic" all depends on what costs you care about.

Grant KZ1W