[TowerTalk] Aluminium telescopic mast

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 17 11:40:48 EDT 2019

"Customary" size tubing is usually 0.065" thick wall and is ID-OD line
to line so won't telescope with 0.125" diameter steps. (also it often
isn't 6061 T6/T651 needed for yagis). Telescoping tubing has 0.058" wall
so with its larger ID, telescopes nicely (don't ding the ends though).
DXengineering is a great source, but unfortunately doesn't sell (I've
tried to change that) longer than 6' lengths except for some boom sizes.

Onlinemetals.com is now stocking most diameters of 0.058" wall (and
0.120" wall) and will sell full lengths for pickup (Maybe also via
freight, but I'm close to a warehouse, so don't know) and 8' for UPS
delivery.  Now and then I've found 0.058 wall a in a few diameters in
full lengths at other metal distributors but paid dearly for that
"opportunity."

So if you are designing/modeling inch sized tubing antennas, best to
stay within the  6/8' length constraints.  Sometimes that is hard to do
for sections that also internally sleeve another section.

Grant KZ1W