[TowerTalk] Aluminium telescopic mast

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 12:32:12 EDT 2019

On 7/17/19 8:47 AM, john wrote:
> As an alternative, who makes an inexpensive fiberglass or metal push up mast?  Say 30 or 40 foot.I'm thinking of making the "Unique HF Vertical" in the July QST page #39.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

I have one of those 40 foot telescoping carbon fiber masts and it's
pretty nice.  The tip is pretty small - I wouldn't want to put much mass
up there, but for supporting a wire or 4 it works fine.

One of these:

http://www.spiderbeam.us/product_info.php?info=p3_Spiderbeam%20HD%2012m%20fiberglass%20pole.html

MFJ has a 33 foot telescoping fiberglass pole -
https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1910
as well as a variety of other lengths.

I've stacked two extendable painters poles

if you want to go real inexpensive, and you don't mind rigging
lightweight guys out of nylon cord/string..  Stack 10 foot lengths of
PVC pipe.

For *ALL* of these, I've found the problem is not the pole, it's holding
the pole upright.  Either you need guys (which can be very, very
lightweight, but still, you have to rig them) or some *very* stiff
mounting base.

I've also fooled with using things like collapsible panfish rods (also
called crappie poles) which are very inexpensive for lengths like
15'-20', and trying to figure a way to use *those* as guys/struts for a
taller pole (like the spiderbeam pole)

My guideline requirement for the design is: "erected and operating in
15-20 minutes" and "won't blow over in a 15-20 mi/hr breeze"

Turns out, that's pretty tough to do.

some not so wonderful tries:

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/antenna/tripod.htm - 3 painter's poles

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/antenna/mastcar.htm  - why not to hook