[TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Jun 15 19:56:38 EDT 2019

I would not put more on a tower than Rohn's wind load ratings allow
just because a torque guy is used. A 6 way star guy does a great job
of minimizing twisting.  There is more leg compression since there are
more guys wires however a Rohn 45 is designed to go 300' high and the
tower in the post is only 110'. I believe that twisting can cause
tower failure, K4JA's tower twisted back and forth in hurricane winds
until it failed. Adding a star guy is probably a good thing if the
antenna has a long boom. I use star guys and a taper pier pin base on
all of my towers.

John KK9A

k7lxc wrote:

>    I had one of these on the top guy set of my 110' R45 tower.   And
> I had torque arms on the lower two guy sets.
>    My question is aside from twisting, does this change any of the
> wind loading numbers?
>    My suspicion is the double guy sets per face can only help but I
> have never seen it quantified.

   Since the capacity of a tower is determined by the leg strength,
I'd say that the use of a star guy bracket doesn't really do anything
to change it. I'm not an engineer so I don't have any calcs to provide.
Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH