[TowerTalk] Securing vertical to concrete post?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Mar 5 21:04:28 EST 2019

10 7/8 ID stainless steel U-Bolts are readily available.  The 8 3/4 with a
1/2-13 thread is much less money and I have had good success reshaping
u-bolts, assuming that the threaded ends are long enough.

GL,
John KK9A

Gary K9GS wrote:

Permanent installation on a dock piling.I would be securing something like a
BigIR or DX Engineering vertical.The DX Engineering tilt base normally
mounts to a 2.5-3" diameter pipe. I could fashion some kind of heavy duty
adapter plate to go between the tilt base and the post.I currently have one
of these bases holding an 80m vertical to a 6X6 wooden post.  Instead of
using the U bolts that would normally go around a steel post, I pass bolts
through the 6X6 and use a backing plate on the opposite face from the
antenna base.  Obviously something I can't do with a concrete post.  I've
thought of fabricating a large SS U bolt from all-thread and clamping the
post with a large AL plate.  Not sure how easy it would be to bend the
all-thread though in a 10" diameter bend.That's assuming I can buy SS
all-thread.73,Gary K9GS