[TowerTalk] Rotor options besides a Prop Pitch?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Mar 7 08:22:38 EST 2019

I have not seen your book but this is great information Steve for anyone
buying a rotator.

Rotating torque does not tell the whole story, most of the time and
almost all of the time at my station the rotator is not turning the
antenna. It is just holding the antenna in position as the wind tries
move it so you need a unit robust enough not to break. Of course antenna
balancing can help. I had a two Hy-Gain HDR-300 that had a lot of torque
but they required yearly servicing turning moderately large Telrex
beams. It is important that the rotator has a good mast clamp and it is
also important to have a reliable direction indicating system. K7NV prop
pitch rotators are extremely robust and reliable. Also the Reed switch
along with a Green Heron controller make a reliable direction system.

John KK9A

k7lxc wrote:

>  I'd like to thank everyone for your rotor recommendations regarding my
> post seeking the "strongest and most reliable rotor".? The "Prop Pitch"
> was the big winner with almost no competition!
Hiya, Dick --
     Correcto mundo. They are the best.

>  I'm seeking strong and reliable rotors for multiple towers and may not
> need a PropPitch for towers with smaller antenna loads.? Such as, for a
> tower holding a single HF Yagi with a 36' to 42' boom and 18 to 20
> sq.ft. of wind load, besides?a Prop Pitch are there any strong and
> reliable rotor options for this size antenna load?
     I have a chapter devoted to rotators in my UP THE TOWER book where I
have a chart of rotator specs, with the PP having the highest rotating
and brake torque. Just looking at those 2 specs, two of the TIC
Ringrotors are next followding by a Big RAK Alfaspid followed by a
Prosistel 71D. Anyway, there are 28 rotators listed and they all have
their good points and some negatives.

     Among my personal favorites are the M2 Orion (with a Green Heron
control box and Champion Radio Products mast clamp - NOT the factory
stuff) and the Yaesu 2800.

     The whole book is available from championradio.com.

Cheers & GL,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH
and
Champion Radio ProductsCell: 206-890-4188