[TowerTalk] Long Wire Sag

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Mar 10 15:23:53 EDT 2019

I have a strong dislike for copperweld -- I find it miserable to work
with, and neighbor W6GJB had a #12 copperweld 80M dipole break a few
days after paying climbers almost $1K to rig it in his tall redwoods.

My wire antennas are at 140 ft between redwoods, and fed with RG11,
rigged with pulleys, tied down at on end and a 90# jug of dry sand on
the other.  I used to use THHN, #10 on permanent antennas, #14 for
portable ones, but the #10 THHN stretches over time if under tension,
and must be circumcised every few years.

If insulation is not needed, a far better approach is to buy a spool of
#8 bare copper from the big box store and stretch it to approximate #9
hard drawn copper. WA6NMF introduced me to this idea around 2004, and
neighbor W6GJB and I have done it several times since. We tie one end of
about 200 ft of wire to an immovable object, like a tree or telephone
pole, the other end to the trailer hitch of his pickup, and Glen drives
very slowly until it breaks, while I observe at a distance.  The stretch
is typically 15-20%.

73, Jim K9YC