[TowerTalk] Fwd: F-connectors

Kirk Kleinschmidt sohosources at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 13:30:05 EDT 2019

Hans,
F connectors and RG-6/RG-11 (modern CATV variants) have their detractors, perhaps with some good reasons, but I have been using them exclusively from 1.8 - 144 MHz for the past 20 years, with no substantive issues.
I use F-to-UHF adapters as necessary, but I also use a couple of non-mother-approved ways to attach PL-259s directly to RG-6/RG-11 (see youtube videos by a 4-land Old-Timer).

Perhaps the best way to use them is to pick up a few crimp/solder PL-259 connectors made for RG-6. They're available at www.therfc.com, and they're high quality (about $2 each). Don't try to source these from eBay or Alibaba, cuz you'll get the junky ones, for sure. The only "good" ones I've found have been at the aforementioned address.

Aside from one bad length of cable, I have been very satisfied/successful using this stuff from 1 to 100W. Others have reported success at 500-1000 W, but I'd stop at 500 W on HF, perhaps at 100 W above 6 meters (just because).
After years of using RG-6 from dc to daylight, I tested several 100-foot lengths in the field for cable/connector losses, etc, with no problems detected.

Oh -- and the high-quality Snap N Seal brand compression fittings are SUPER DUPER and so easy to use.

The cable has loss figures equivalent or slightly better than generic RG-8, and if you want even better specs, use RG-11.

Important: Most RG-6/RG-11 is copper clad steel (CCS). Make sure you DON'T nick or cut the thin copper layer when prepping for connectors or you'll be transmitting through steel coax...

The skin depth may be problematic on 160 meters, but my in-place tests of actual working installations showed no problems. YMMV!

Regards,
--Kirk, NT0Z  Survivor of Snowpocalypse 1 to 5  Rochester, MN

 My book, "Stealth Amateur Radio," is now available from www.stealthamateur.com and on the Amazon Kindle (soon)