[TowerTalk] 40m Beam: Problem - Attenuation and Static

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Mon Mar 18 13:48:16 EDT 2019

I had a driven element on my 3 ele 20-6 mtr Steppir that I never resolved but it would lose RX signal strength. Bypassed coax, checked for fractured solder connections in the EHU (think that is what they call it) and finally got Steppir to send me another used unit for a pretty good price. Still got the unit and have considered trying to turn my 3 el into a 4 element. But that would require some expensive work and removing the steppir way up there at 118'...so it's just not worth the cost and trouble. If I ever go that far I will probably put up something like a DB36 or DB42 or maybe a JK antenna. Or a big Quad array. But so far the 3 element has given me very good service and as the sunspot cycle improves it should show it's stuff. My favorite band has to be 12 meters although I pretty much try to work them all on SSB.
 But I never was able to resolve exactly why I was losing half or more of my signal on receive. As soon as I hit the TX key, even on SSB, the signal would come back up. Like tickler current on old phones I thought.

Terry
KI7M