[TowerTalk] Homebrew PCB

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon May 6 23:34:25 EDT 2019

On 5/6/19 4:11 PM, Don wrote:
> I was unaware of OSH Park so asked around locally if anyone had used
> them. Good input from one who has.
>
> Was also told of another in the area, Sunstone, maybe a bit more
> expensive, but with free design SW. Here is a link to their site.
>
> https://www.sunstone.com
> <https://www.sunstone.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtr_mBRDeARIsALfBZA5PYAsOFYtrT3s0FgobwCtKJ6OCn8OFz_6YxFcRWbZcKh1dAtwZfVgaAtpkEALw_wcB>

I've used Sunstone.. I've used them sending them gerbers in the
conventional way, and they've done well for us at JPL.  1 day turnaround
is possible for 4 layer boards.

They also have an assembly/procurement deal with Screaming Circuits
(also in Oregon).  You upload the design and the BoM with Digikey or
other part numbers and they'll quote it, buy the parts, and assemble it
remarkably fast.

It is *not* as cheap as sending it out to one of the Chinese companies.

But it can be really fast.

I've not tried the pcb123.

I've done expresspcb.com - they had a "3 boards for $50" thing that I
used more than once. They're also in Oregon and I see from their website
that they too have a deal with Screaming Circuits.

I think, in the long run, finding a design tool and using it is probably
a better thing.