[TowerTalk] Stacking 4-squares ?

Tim Duffy k3lr at k3lr.com
Mon Nov 25 16:33:32 EST 2019

Hello Mike:

We have been using two phased four squares at K3LR for almost 20 years. It
was N2NT's idea to do this project.

It is a very simple system to get 3 dB gain over one four square and F/B is
improved:

Two full size (quarter wavelength verticals) four squares
120 quarter wavelength radials under each element.
5/8 wavelength spacing between the centers at 3.650 MHz
Feedlines to each element are RG-11 foam - quarter wave at 3.650 MHz
Individual elements tuned to 3.455 MHz for minimum dump power at 3.650 MHz.
Dump power is -26 dB down vs. input.
Elements made from 60 ft aluminum towers (sections welded together) with a
12 ft stinger.
Simple match when using both four squares - use 3/4 wavelength of RG-213
from each Comtek box
Hook the two together (now 25 ohms) - step up back to 50 ohms with quarter
wavelength of RG-83 (35 ohm coax).
To use only one 4 square the other must be detuned. Simple to short the
Comtek box side of each vertical feedline
This reflects an open at the element feedpoint (floating quarter wavelength
elements are not resonant).

You can see the layout of the dual four squares at K3LR here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GM_RCfU9Nc&feature=youtu.be

73
Tim K3LR