[TowerTalk] Stacking 4-squares ?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 15:00:58 EST 2019

On 11/25/19 11:25 AM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> I think I read somewhere that someone has done this.  Was it K3LR? W3LPL?
> Some Finnish or Swedish M/M hams?
>
> I can't seem to find it.
>
> Where can I get some more info on this practice?
>

> I am tossing around the idea of doing it on 20m..maybe with an eye to do it
> on 15 and/or 10m later.

So you'd vertically stack two arrays? Same band? Why not just make your
vertical elements 3/4 wavelength in one array, which has a pattern that
is more like a 1/4 wave with a 1/2 wave stacked above it.

> With my 20m 4-Square I always seem to be 10dB down on 20m compared to locals
> with a 56' tower and 3 or 4 element 20m Yagis and I have really no intention
> on installing any towers here soon..probably ever.

I think you're seeing the "1/4 wave V pol at ground level" compared to
H-pol at 56 feet (which is close to 1 wavelength = 70 ft at 14.15 MHz)