[TowerTalk] Verticals above chain Link fence

ed_richardson at shaw.ca ed_richardson at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 1 22:52:49 EDT 2019

Getting ready for another contesting season from my Postage stamp size City Lot.  In previous years I have installed a winter antenna (Steppir Vertical) in the rear yard as a second antenna to the tower mounted beams. In the past I have had had so-so success laying out 50-60 radials around the base of the antenna.. The problem is there is a lot of ground clutter such as trees and wooden fence in close proximity to the antenna.

I was considering mounting the antenna about 13-15 above the ground and above a 7 foot high chain link fence. I was then planning on using 2-3 resonant radials on each band (40/30/20/15 forget about 10m).

Has anyone had any experience with a similar configuration? Obviously keeping the radials away from the fence would be important.

Thanks for the bandwidth!

Ed VE4VT