[TowerTalk] Verticals above chain Link fence

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Wed Oct 2 12:41:55 EDT 2019

Hi Ed,

Do I understand correctly that you have two antennas and you are asking
about making changes to one of them?  If the other antenna does not
change, then you could compare the new unusual design to the other
design that has not changed, and you would know the answer.  If it was
me, I might be inclined to "put it up and see what happens" but be
advised that this approach is slovenly and without merit to some, which
could open you to disparaging public comment, regardless of how loud
your signal becomes because of the new antenna.

For the humor impaired, that was a little bit of a joke really.

Actually if it was me, given that you only need two resonant radials to
make a complete system when they are above ground, and from what I
understand this works when the two radials are symmetric about the
feedpoint, I would not be able to stop myself from digging out some
ribbon cable and cutting it so that I had one wire in the ribbon cable
per band per side that was the right length.  then I would have
everything I need in a single assembly with a single attachment point at
each end, per each side of the feedpoint.

Then, I would mount it so that the radials were also symmetric about the
fence.

Some wax poetic about tuning the radials for resonance, but I, being
confident the system was symmetric, would not look back at that, I would
cut the radials to approximate a resonant dipole, feed the whole thing
with a matching network located for my personal convenience, I would
make the radio happy with a swell SWR, and get on the air and work other
radio operators.  Comparing it to the other antenna could yield
confidence or concern, a not-inappropriate currency in my way of looking
at it.

Bear in mind, it's possible the exact ribbon cable one uses might turn
out to be too small.  This is easily determined without math as
follows:  Put it up.  Use it.  If the ribbon cable heats up, it is too
small.  If the ribbon cable does not heat up, it is not too small.
Flames could be an indication too.  Watch the SWR while doing the
experiment.

You might be able to do it differently than I have described and achieve
what some would call "better" results, which would be an arguable
statement, and then the argument about the results and how to measure
them (seasoned with comments about engineering practices), would occupy
the posts of this email reflector in the grand style to which we have
become accustomed.

Or, you could do what I have described and get on the air and enjoy
radio contacts from your warm cozy shack during the cold winter that
will soon be upon us.

And thanks for getting me thinking.  I might have to go outside and try
that.

73 - Mark N5OT