[TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Oct 2 14:14:50 EDT 2019

On 9/29/2019 11:51 AM, Julio Peralta via TowerTalk wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience using a clamp on ground resistance meter?

My consulting practice in the design of large sound systems bought an
expensive unit (about $2K 20 years ago) that worked in the range of 2
kHz. It stayed on my shelf when I closed the business about ten years
ago.
https://www.aemc.com/userfiles/files/resources/applications/ground/APP_Fall-of-Potential.pdf

Virtually all ground resistance measurements I'm aware of are done at
either power or audio frequency.

Note that, except for some receiving antennas, the sole reason for an
earth connection is safety, primarily lightning, but also from issues
with mains power distribution. An earth connection does NOT make
antennas work better, nor does it reduce noise. What DOES matter a LOT
is proper bonding of all the grounds in a home or other building.

73, Jim K9YC