[TowerTalk] EHS leads for Phillystran

wc1m73 at gmail.com wc1m73 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 12:52:23 EDT 2019

I used 29 feet of EHS per guy, which put the lowest Philly at about 10' above ground (a somewhat tricky calculation as the tower is on steeply sloping terrain.) The tower is in a mowed field where grass seldom gets over a couple feet high and our climate is rarely dry, so I wasn't worried so much about brush fires as vandals, critters, etc. I didn't consider resonance as the EHS is quite far from the tower. I added about 10' per guy for looping it back through the turnbuckles, probably a bit more than needed but I found uses for the extra EHS.

All three of my 4-el SteppIRs are on TIC rings about one foot above a guy bracket. I hadn't considered that the relatively short preforms could interact with the antennas. Can't say I've noticed any changes in SWR with rotation, but can't say that I ever checked it, except to see if there was interaction between the top SteppIR and the 40m beam 15 feet above it at the top of the tower.  I'll have to check. FWIW, my preforms are attached to the guy brackets with heavy-duty shackles. I assume there's continuity, but that's something else to check.

I imagine it would be a big project to add insulators to my setup, so before doing that I'd make the effort to check the pattern with modeling and some real-world measurements.

73, Dick WC1M