[TowerTalk] Antenna rope.

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 5 23:13:55 EDT 2019

On 9/5/19 4:04 PM, J Chaloupka via TowerTalk wrote:
> I have recently been made aware of a superior roping used by sailboaters and others.  It has what I think are excellent characteristics that seem to apply to antennas. The product is named, DYNEMA.  Supposed to be stronger than steel and is sometimes used in winches.
> Here is a link to it.
> Spectra / Dynema / Amsteel Ropes and Lines

it's also used in fishing line. It's what is called a liquid crystal
polymer and is known for low stretch (like Spectra).

I've not used it as rope, but I've used it as a monofilament.

There's lots of synthetics that work well. Your practical concerns are
weather resistance, stretchy-ness (good in climbing ropes, not in
halyards), and failure behavior.  Choose what works in your application.

Steel is cheap and doesn't have UV issues.