[TowerTalk] Cushcraft/MFJ Traps

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Fri Sep 13 13:04:40 EDT 2019

My in the air TH7DX was purchased in 1983 if I recall correctly, not to
long after it was introduced in '82(?). I also have a second which
purchased out of an estate type sale that was up for a period of time.

I had zero problems with the antenna or antenna traps until I moved to
the coast and found myself looking down on the ocean some hundreds of
feet away. Mucho salt spray and air. Common steel frame lawn
chairs/tables and common plated steel hardware rust out in less than two
seasons. I now know every nearby store who carries SS hardware now.

Two years ago I began having 15 and 20 M SWR problems. I was able to
isolate the issues to the traps. I removed and cleaned up the15 M and 10
M traps in DE 1 and the R which at the time was diagnosed as the problem
area. Found the screws used to fasten the two ends of the coil to the
element tubing were common cheap plated thread tapping screws and were
corroded to the extent that little was left of the screws in a couple of
cases. After removing the screws and cleaning up the surfaces, I
replaced with SS screws using an antiseize compound my electrician uses
for an interface between aluminum and SS. Rechecked after back up and
this cleanup had solved the problem. Now I am seeing some SWR issues
again on 15 and 20 so suspect I will have to do the same cleanup of the
DE2 and also the D (yes, should have done them all at the same time, was
in a hurry, bad decision). Will also check the matching assy. I have not
seen any problem with the coil forms or with arcing in the coils and I
do run the full legal limit when necessary.

Summary, I'd bet the most common problem with a TH7 trap is the screws
used in the traps failing. Might take longer for them to corrode in non
salt air areas but they will. I've got pictures of the trap interiors
and the screws in the traps before rework I'd be glad to share, ugly! I
did replace the plastic end caps with new ones from MFJ when
reassembling, almost all the originals were split. These traps are easy
to work on and I'd sure suggest any time someone has a TH7 down for any
reason to do an examination of the traps. Check out the screw holding
the aluminum trap cover too, also had to replace them.

Don T W7WLL