[TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Thu Apr 30 20:40:54 EDT 2020

I remember last year someone (perhaps AB7E?) posted audio files of DB differences, 1 DB at a time....  1DB, 2DB, 3DB, as well as under varying sending conditions.  I always thought that 1 DB could be heard but until those audio files I never realized just how much it could matter.

Whether we are calling cq or calling a station it is unlikely that we will ever know when that extra 1 DB mattered; but now add in differences in pitch, keyer speed, sending style, propagation effects (flutter, aurora, echo, etc) and all of a sudden that 1 DB extra signal strength might really stand out, especially if a band is noisy and and/or propagation is marginal, not to mention when there is a good op on the other end listening for the slightest signal differences in a pileup.

Every DB matters - wherever you can find it.

73

Bob, KQ2M