[TowerTalk] ground wire thoughts

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Thu Dec 24 18:19:25 EST 2020

My tower is near the center of a small lot, 60 by 120 ft (18 by 36 m).
When I decided to shunt feed the tower on 80 and 160 years ago, I
initially put in 13 crooked buried radials, largely based on ON4UN's
book, where he contends that a whole lot of short radials aren't much
better than a small number of them. (Not as good as lots of long
radials, of course, but that's not an option here.) It worked quiet
well. There were 3 ground rods at the base of the tower for lightning
protection. The soil is clay, probably of about average conductivity.
Years later, I buried another 1200 feet of AWG 12 copper wire in a grid
pattern. The impedance of the shunt feed did not change a bit, and the
antenna seems to perform about the same, so I don't think all that wire
did much for its efficiency. However, I think it may significantly
improve the lightning protection. I now have a total of 13 ground rods,
but in this soil their resistance isn't all that low. All that wire has
a lot of surface area, and it's near the surface of the soil. I hope
that's never put to the test, but I figure it can't hurt.

73,
Scott K9MA

Scott  K9MA

k9ma at sdellington.us