[TowerTalk] center insulator material

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Feb 8 20:36:43 EST 2020

Have you considered a commercial product? When I was looking for a dipole
canter for an expedition to WP2AA I really did not like most of the
commercial ones that I saw so I inquired on Towertalk. The Budwig was
suggested and I purchased a couple of them. It is a simple device but it
worked well for me, I have no idea how it holds up over long term UV/salt
spray but I would expect it to last at least as long as your coax.

John KK9A

From: charlie carroll k1xx
Sat Feb 8 11:57:24 EST 2020

I need some help selecting some type of material to build some custom
center insulators.  I have what approaches zero experience in this area.

The insulators will be used to support near vertical dipoles for
160-meters.  The antennas will be installed in the Caribbean and will
need high resistance to UV and salt water.  I also want to install an
SO-239 and home made common-mode choke on the insulator.  It would be
preferable that I be able to fabricate the final shape with common home
workshop tools and not have to rely on a machine shop.  The insulators
won't be under a lot of tension because of their orientation, but low
weight material would be preferred.  The insulators may be subject to
some winds containing sand particles.

I'm looking for some help selecting some appropriate material (UHMW,
Ultem, UV augmented HDPE, ...) that I can investigate further.

thanks

73 charlie, k1xx