[TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Feb 10 10:35:28 EST 2020

There are companies that purchase scrap metal from manufacturing
plants. They have an analysis gun that can show the chemical
composition of carbon steel. I have watched someone use one, they are
very quick and appear to be accurate however you would need to remove
the zinc in the test area.  Another option is to cut off a sample and
test the hardness using a Brinell Hardness testing machine and compare
it to the chrome molly and 1026 steel specs.

For some reason hams seem to be obsessed with 2" chrome molly masts.

73,

John KK9A

Richard (Rick) Karlquist N6RK wrote

I acquired a 1/2 inch wall, 2 inch OD mast as
part of a tower deal.  I neglected to ask
whether the mast was Chromoly or just steel.
Is there any easy way to determine which alloy
is present, such as doing a scratch test
with a high speed steel bit or something?
It seems reasonable that the previous user,
having gone to the trouble of using such
a thick wall mast, would also have gotten
the best alloy.  But you never know about
stuff like that.  The mast appears to be
galvanized and has no visible rust.

Rick N6RK