[TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Feb 10 12:35:44 EST 2020

On 2/10/2020 7:35 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> There are companies that purchase scrap metal from manufacturing plants.
> They have an analysis gun that can show the chemical composition of
> carbon steel. I have watched someone use one, they are very quick and
> appear to be accurate however you would need to remove the zinc in the
> test area.  Another option is to cut off a sample and test the hardness
> using a Brinell Hardness testing machine and compare it to the chrome
> molly and 1026 steel specs.
>
> For some reason hams seem to be obsessed with 2" chrome molly masts.
>
> 73,
>
> John KK9A

It's good to know that it can be tested.  It would probably
require "connections" to get this done at a price that
wouldn't exceed the value of the mast.

Can you expand on your comment about the chromoly obsession?
I too keep reading the chromoly "hype" (?) here on TT.
Is it possibly overrated? Or maybe it's the real deal.
I don't have an opinion as a non-expert; just trying to learn about it.

Rick N6RK