[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Grease preference or

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Jan 10 20:13:41 EST 2020

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 17:45:14 +0000 (UTC)
From: k7lxc at aol.com
To: towertalk at contesting.com, libbysales at austin.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Grease preference or
recommendation

< Which parts do you want to grease? I dont think there was any grease used when the PP's were in original service - just some sort of oil. (My military PP manual is packed so I cant look it up quickly.) When in original service in airplane engines, the PP's <were mounted horizontally but when used in ham service they were mounted vertically which would allow the oil to drip out. All of the assemblers I've ever talked to recommended using them dry - no oil - so no problem with leakage. Since the duty cycles in <ham use are pretty small compared to their original use, no internal lubrication isnt a big deal. And they still last for many years.

<Cheers,Steve K7LXCTOWER TECH

##  Dont  even  think  about  using  a PP  with out  grease.  Not  with the  electric motor  spinning  at  4800  rpm...driving  planetary gears.
PP  is  mounted vert.    9600:1   gear  redux.   Takes  2  mins  to  rotate the  yagis  360  deg.

Jim   VE7RF