[TowerTalk] Need help estimating cable length of DXE 400 MAX

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Jan 12 14:07:55 EST 2020

For fairly long cable rolls (> 1/2 WL at the highest frequency where the
analyzer provides accurate impedance data), it's pretty straightforward,
Don:

    1) Connect your analyzer to one end of the cable roll. You can leave
    the far end either shorted or opened.

    2) Look for the frequencies where the input reactance of the cable
    roll has a zero crossing (or at least a deep minimum) and the input
    resistance is either very low (near effective short) or very high
    (near effective open).

    3) Take the difference in frequency between two adjacent frequencies
    where the input impedance of the cable roll looks like a short
    (reactance and resistance minimum) or two adjacent frequencies where
    the input impedance of the cable roll looks like an open (reactance
    minimum and resistance maximum).

    4) The approximate electrical length of the cable roll in feet is:

        Le = 492/delta_F,    where delta_F is in Megahertz.

    5) The approximate physical length of the cable is just the
    electrical length multiplied by the velocity factor of the cable
    (i.e. Lp = Le * vf)

I had to do this recently when buying a large spool of cable. The seller
indicated that it was 2835 ft. I measured ~140 KHz between low Z
readings (reactance and resistance minimum) on my MFJ-269.

    Le = 492/0.14 = 3514 ft

The published velocity factor for this type of cable is 0.81 so,

    Lp = 3514 ft * 0.81 = 2847 ft

This is very close to what the guy was advertising, so I knew I wasn't
being short changed.

Hope this helps.

73, Mike W4EF..............