[TowerTalk] Need help estimating cable length of DXE 400 MAX

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 12 15:54:40 EST 2020

On 1/12/2020 11:07 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
> The published velocity factor for this type of cable is 0.81 so,
>
>     Lp = 3514 ft * 0.81 = 2847 ft
>

> This is very close to what the guy was advertising, so I knew I wasn't
> being short changed.

BUT -- VF for ALL transmission lines varies with frequency, and is
typically about 5 percent slower in the range where you measured. The
published value is that to which it converges at VHF, and is what most
TDR instruments measure. The difference will make the line "measure"
that percentage longer than it really is using the technique of looking
for the first quarter-wave null.

See page 8 of http://k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf for an example of this
measurement made by finding nulls at harmonic frequencies and plotting
VF from those data. This can be done with instruments as simple as an
MFJ-259 -- you turn the dial to find the null(s), then write down the
frequency(ies) and compute VF.

73, Jim K9YC