[TowerTalk] ICE 419B schematic, component values and replacement part numbers

Dave Hachadorian k6ll.dave at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:14:24 EST 2020

There's a ton of history in the Towertalk Reflector Archives about these ICE
419 units.  The David Montgomery mentioned in W5WZ's document is my neighbor
W7WW.  He and I shared the info received from ICE with the Towertalk
community long ago.  I think it was K1TTT who chimed in at that time, and
recommended the CDV16 series capacitors instead of the CDV19's because the
CDV16's are actually RF-rated.

Even after I replaced W7WW's 10 and 15 meter caps with FOUR CDV16's in
parallel, they still ran very hot, although they never did fail, even at 100
watts of RTTY in the NAQP contests.  The issue for the caps is RF current,
not voltage.

The ICE 419 was a miserable little unit, plagued not only with capacitor
failures, but dropouts on receive because the signal path goes through 10
sets of relaxed relay contacts.  Band to band isolation is also way below
other commercial devices.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ