[TowerTalk] ICE 419B schematic, component values and replacement part numbers

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 26 22:31:38 EST 2020

On 1/26/2020 5:35 PM, w5wz at w5wz.com wrote:
> The 15 meter section of one of my ICE 419B units failed during 2020
> January NAQP SSB

Running barefoot into an antenna with SWR is a common cause of failures
in low power BPFs. Don't know what your situation is/was, but I've had
this happen to me years ago.

Some other crucial info for finishing the repairs -- that filter must be
re-aligned using suitable test equipment; available adjustments are to
squeeze or expand the coils in the 15M filter. The cover must be in
place when the measurements are made, removed to tweak, replaced to
measure, and so on. Especially with the construction of the ICE 419,
that isn't easy. The best test equipment is a Vector Network Analyzer
with software that can simultaneously display SWR, loss in the passband,
and filter skirts. I use the VNWA3EC, designed by DG8SAQ and sold by
hams in the UK. Without that realignment, the filter won't work very
well and is likely to blow again.

The quality of these caps is also critical. They must have very low
equivalent series resistance.

73, Jim K9YC