[TowerTalk] How to fix crooked Rohn 45G short base?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 4 10:55:52 EDT 2020

I've made joiners and bottom plates for different tower sections for
Field Day, R25 to aluminum etc.

The Rohn leg bolts hold in shear so larger holes are not a good answer.

Getting two plates made with welded on pin and socket, that can be
shimmed to correct the angle makes sense as a solution, but needs a lot
of strength as you noted.  I would go with the shimmed plates.  Have
them galvanized.

For starting over, there are expanding grouts (Dexpan) that break up
concrete.  Drill deep holes, mix and pour.  Removing concrete with
rebar/tower section will be a PITA.  A big excavator might pull it
straight out whole.  I'd try that first.  Or Dexpan to break off the
exterior then pull.

Grant KZ1W