[TowerTalk] OT: Bonding to Teflon

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Fri Jul 10 03:05:19 EDT 2020

The AG (see link below) primer for bonding Teflon TFE is interesting;
this must be a relatively new material. All my experience bonding TFE
has been with Tetra-Etch. The AG adhesive shown in the link seems to be
a cyanoacrylate, judged from its rapid bond time. All my experience with
cyanoacrylate adhesives for long-term use has has poor results; it is a
useful fixturing adhesive but has not had long life, especially in
high-humidity areas. The shelf life of cyanoacrylate adhesives is poor
and you soon find the whole container has set up and is useless. There
are some applications where cyanoacrylate adhesives work well--such as
the rear view mirror mount on car windshields, but you can be sure those
applications have excellent process control.

The AG link example tests bond strength in peel and shear but there is a
lot of contact area in that joint; the strength in psi evaluated by that
hanging masonry block is really not that high. And, there is no evidence
the bond will survive for a long time if wet or in high humidity,
conditions which are not a problem for urethane or epoxy adhesives. It
is not clear if the AG primer will work with anything but the
cyanoacrylate demonstrated.

But, to say that TFE cannot be bonded is just not true. MIL-Spec and
NASA procedures use Tetra-Etch, which has metallic sodium in a
hydrocarbon solvent; check the readily-available Tetra-Etch MSDS if you
want to know more. But, including metallic sodium makes disposal difficult.

I've used a great deal of Tetra-Etch on structural TFE and on the white
TFE jacket of MIL-Spec electronic cables. Applying and rinsing off
Tetra-Etch does make the TFE bondable by epoxy and urethane adhesives,
and probably by acrylic adhesives. Specs for using Tetra-Etch put a
limit on the shelf life of an etched surface; I'd be uncertain about the
bondability shelf life of pre-etched Teflon. My recollection from
MIL-aero work is that the etched TFE must be bonded within two days at most.

Searching on-line, I see several common industrial sites that offer
Tetra-etch for sale.

Teflon electronic "spaghetti" is not TFE, it is FEP, recognized by its
translucent semi-transparency and bluish color tint. FEP can be etched
by Tetra-Etch also.

Hydrofluoric (HF) acid does not attack TFE and it will not etch the TFE
surface for bonding. Worse, HF is very dangerous to use, as even a tiny
drop on your skin will eat through your flesh and there is not a whole
lot you can do to prevent severe, long-lasting injury. Industrially, HF
is used in many chemical reactions but under very careful control. You
really, really don't want to fool around with HF! As someone here
pointed out, it can be stored in Teflon, polyethylene and even lead
metal, but not glass.

Larry

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)