[TowerTalk] 20m monoband Yagi height

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jul 14 13:23:18 EDT 2020

As high as possible is not correct, the ideal height for a single 20m
beam on flat ground is probably around 100'. I suspect that you'll get
mostly anecdotal answers to this question unless someone happens to
have separate towers at 50' and 70' with the same antennas and has
switched between them.  I have 20m Yagis at 75', 90' and 150'.  I only
operate during contests, I do not recall ever not being able to work a
multiplier with just a lower antenna. A model will give you the true
radiation angle/gain differences. Since it costs much more to later
upgrade a 50' crankup tower to a 70' crankup, I would probably start
out with the taller tower.

John KK9A

Robert KD4Q

Please forgive my inability to figure out how to search archives by
subject as I have to imagine this is a common question.

Understanding the best answer is “as high as possible” and the second
best answer is at least one wavelength...

I wanted to ask about some real world experience between 50’ and 66-70’...

Specifically: given the same antenna, same QTH, same general point in
the solar cycle...

Has anyone had a 20m monoband, trapless beam at ~50’, then raised it
to ~70’ and seen enough consistent improvement to justify the effort?

Background:

Given my QTH I have about 55’ to tilt my (in process of permitting)
tower. If I want to go higher I’m clear to 70 easy. However it will
require telescoping (e.g. lower to 55, then tilt) to be able to
service from the ground — a requirement for me.)

The cost difference is very substantial all the way around: purchase,
shipping, footing, installation).

So I’m wondering if it’s worth all the time and trouble to get an
extra 15-20 feet?

Background: I’d like a big signal, would like to have at least a
50-75% chance to bust most pileups... even if it takes patience...but
I’m a casual DXer who after 44 years is getting serious about 20m CW
DXCC.

I’m not trying to be the guy who is first through the pileup or even
places in a DX contest... but I’m tired of being the guy who can only
reach for low hanging fruit. I want to work some more dopamine
inducing DX and maybe turn in something more than average on contests.

I live in NE FL, a mile from the beach, on very sandy soils, and have
oak trees at 45’.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks es 73
Bob