[TowerTalk] 20m monoband Yagi height

Michael Murphy mike at ki8r.com
Tue Jul 14 14:25:15 EDT 2020

I would say "it depends" on what part of the country you are in also.

I can tell you that I contest with a group here in Ohio that has 6 elements
on a 72 foot boom at 103 feet.  The antenna is too high for Europe.  We
added a 4 over 4 stack side mounted (80 feet and 40 feet) on another tower
pointed at Europe that is much more effective.

YMMV.

- Mike - KI8R

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 1:23 PM <john at kk9a.com> wrote:

> As high as possible is not correct, the ideal height for a single 20m
> beam on flat ground is probably around 100'. I suspect that you'll get
> mostly anecdotal answers to this question unless someone happens to
> have separate towers at 50' and 70' with the same antennas and has
> switched between them.  I have 20m Yagis at 75', 90' and 150'.  I only
> operate during contests, I do not recall ever not being able to work a
> multiplier with just a lower antenna. A model will give you the true
> radiation angle/gain differences. Since it costs much more to later
> upgrade a 50' crankup tower to a 70' crankup, I would probably start
> out with the taller tower.
>
> John KK9A
>

> Robert KD4Q
>
> Please forgive my inability to figure out how to search archives by
> subject as I have to imagine this is a common question.
>
> Understanding the best answer is “as high as possible” and the second
> best answer is at least one wavelength...
>
> I wanted to ask about some real world experience between 50’ and 66-70’...
>
> Specifically: given the same antenna, same QTH, same general point in
> the solar cycle...
>
> Has anyone had a 20m monoband, trapless beam at ~50’, then raised it
> to ~70’ and seen enough consistent improvement to justify the effort?
>
> Background:
>
> Given my QTH I have about 55’ to tilt my (in process of permitting)
> tower. If I want to go higher I’m clear to 70 easy. However it will
> require telescoping (e.g. lower to 55, then tilt) to be able to
> service from the ground — a requirement for me.)
>
> The cost difference is very substantial all the way around: purchase,
> shipping, footing, installation).
>
> So I’m wondering if it’s worth all the time and trouble to get an
> extra 15-20 feet?
>
> Background: I’d like a big signal, would like to have at least a
> 50-75% chance to bust most pileups... even if it takes patience...but
> I’m a casual DXer who after 44 years is getting serious about 20m CW
> DXCC.
>
> I’m not trying to be the guy who is first through the pileup or even
> places in a DX contest... but I’m tired of being the guy who can only
> reach for low hanging fruit. I want to work some more dopamine
> inducing DX and maybe turn in something more than average on contests.
>
> I live in NE FL, a mile from the beach, on very sandy soils, and have
> oak trees at 45’.
>
> Any insight appreciated.
>
> Thanks es 73
> Bob