[TowerTalk] VERTICALS NEAR SALT WATER

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Tue Jul 14 19:29:20 EDT 2020

Sounds like there are better answers now than there were back when I was
scratching my head in Belize.

I gotta say I loved that 300' dock, and it just seemed to play like
magic.  But nobody would agree that it would play as well in any
direction except straight out to sea.  The verticals were maybe a
wavelength or two from the shore, but the USA was not in the direction
back down the dock, it was just not over the open sea.  But there was
probably 500-1000 feet of salt water in front of the antenna toward the
USA.  According to today's comments, I had accomplished the goal but I
didn't know it and was unsure.

I like these answers better, thanks, but alas I retired that station.

FYI one or two elevated radials per band, based on the real-life
experiences of my friend Dave N2NL who was stationed in Key West for 3
years and got to do some serious experimenting over a long period of time.

73 - Mark N5OT