[TowerTalk] Problem with M2 Orion controller

Les Kalmus w2lk at bk-lk.com
Sun Jul 19 14:21:56 EDT 2020

Ed,

As an FYI, the rotor has a magnet on the end of its motor shaft. During
each rotation, this magnet actives a reed switch in the rotor which
causes pulses to be delivered to the controller. Counting the pulses is
how the rotor keeps track of position. A common point of failure of the
Orion is the reed switch. There are also two microswitches that act as
limit switches. These are also a common point of failure. The reed
switch can be damaged by a lightning induced current surge. The limit
switches are less likely to have a lighting problem but there are other
issues that will cause problems. Older rotors may have limit switch
issues caused by the 1/4" bolt on top of the motor shaft loosing and
allowing the shaft to drop slightly which may cause a large internal
gear to drag against the switches making them intermittent.

Don't ask how I know all this : )

BTW, I also know the GH controller is far superior to the M2 controller,
mainly because it does a vastly superior job of pulse counting.

Les W2LK