[TowerTalk] Inverted Vees

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jun 14 23:23:38 EDT 2020

On 6/14/2020 7:03 PM, wesattaway wrote:
> However,  as overall height is raised then best performance occurs when the wires are level.   I think Jim Briwn may have some data on this.

Hi Wes,

My study was on the effect of height on horizontal and vertical
antennas, and I developed a figure of merit in dB for height of
horizontal antennas. The executive summary is that for 30M and below,
higher is better. :)

I didn't study inverted V rigging, but N6BT has and says that a "flat"
dipole has a 3dB advantage over the inv V when the flat rigged at the
same height as the center of the V.

Some other things I learned:
1) The only effect of soil QUALITY on horizontally polarized antennas is
on their feedpoint impedance.
2) Height STONGLY affects the performance of horizontally polarized
antennas.
3) Soil quality STRONGLY affects vertically polarized antennas -- the
better the soil conductivity, the better they work.
4) HF verticals work better on the roof than on the ground.

The report on my work is here.  It has been peer reviewed.
http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

73, Jim K9YC