[TowerTalk] Insulator for Dipole

Ignacy Misztal no9e at arrl.net
Sat Jun 27 10:47:02 EDT 2020

I have many dipoles attached to tall trees, all attached without
insulators. All fixed with a block, and a bottle of water as a
counterweight. I mostly use 1/8 inch Dacron. I tried 30 lb fishing line and
it broke after a year. Spiderbeam uses a monofilament line that looks like
a 30 lb fishing line but is expected to last decades. So perhaps there are
many varieties of  transparent lines.

 I was also using 8 to 10 lb fishing lines for portable operations lodged
in trees for up to 4 months, with #26 wires.  No break is softly mounted.
Dacron is strong. In 20+ years over many installations, Dacron  broke only
once when a large branch fell on it.

Some time ago hamfests carried large spools (5000 ft?) of a very thin
parachute type rope, with light brown color. Military surplus. In my
installations it broke a few times but is also carrying some dipoles up
for a few years. Incredible strength for its width and almost invisible.

Ignacy, NO9E