[TowerTalk] How best to cut 1/4 inch ss cable?

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Mon Jun 29 15:20:21 EDT 2020

I replaced my original galvanized cable  with 7x19 SS wire cable on my
HG70-HD some time back. I live on the ocean. The original cable was from
1982 (installed at the beach in 2003).

The change to SS was at the suggestion of the local fleet rigger in
Newport OR based on years of use. It has a higher wire strand count thus
is more flexible. I've never had to replace any sheaves. all are still
in good condx. I replied heavily on this rigger's long experience with
making up cable assemblies and installing both galvanized and SS wire
cable and rope on small and large fishing vessels operating out of the
port. He also referred me to this site which I imagine is available in
different write-ups at many cable manufacturers -
https://bergencable.com/cable-101

Because of cost most of the fleet vessels use galvanized cable and the
use of SS seems to be reserved to special requirements and needs

The rigger calculated the 4 key items (load, sheave sizes, bending
factors, and possible distortion) to determine if the properly sized SS
cable I was looking at would have a sufficient safety factor. It did.
BUT, there was a significant cost over galvanized cable.

Just more input on the SS vs galvanized cable discussion.

Don W7WLL