[TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Fri Mar 27 14:49:53 EDT 2020

If the mixing product is internal to the rig, the filter will help.

What John is talking about is rectification/mixing occurring outside
somewhere (rusted metal contact, something weird but not infrequent) so
that the antenna is picking up an 80m signal.  You hear the something,
but in this case the interference is "in band" and thus the filter won't
help at all.

The easy way to check the location (in the rig or external) is to dial
in some attenuation.  If the interference product drops faster than the
amount of attenuation (e.g. 6 db of attenuation results in the
interference dropping by around 20 db), then it's a problem inside the
rig (overload) and the filter will help.  If the interference drops by
the same amount as the attenuation, then it's outside the rig somewhere
and the hunt for that as well as mitigation is a project...

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com