[TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Mar 27 14:53:45 EDT 2020

On 2020-03-27 2:11 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Assuming we're talking a band reject filter, if the filter is between
> the source of the AM signal and the rig, even if the source is due to
> rectification, the filter should still do its job.  Why would it
> not?

If the rectification generates a harmonic or IMD product that falls
in the filter *passband* no filter will reject that spurious product.
The only time a filter will reduce/eliminate a harmonic/IMD product
is if the filter is located between the signal that *excites* the non-
linearity that creates the harmonic/IMD and the non-linearity itself.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV