[TowerTalk] Small mast advice

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 10 20:12:25 EST 2020

On 11/10/20 4:50 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> On 11/10/2020 3:40 PM, Ross Tucker wrote:
>
>> the RV park, she can't lay concrete or have excessive guying. I know this
>
> Get one of those base mounts that your drive your vehicle on top
> of.  That is just about as good as concrete for this purpose
> and the RV park can't say any thing.
>
> For guying, "bracket it" to the RV with guy wires that
> run along the roof of the RV then down the sides.  Again,
> the RV park can't say any thing about these, and they
> will be at the roof height of the RV.

If your RV has a roof rack or a ladder, then you can use a ratchet strap
or similar from that to the mast.

You can develop significant wind loads, so actually, the wheel on top of
a plate thing is great, because it has a well defined failure - the mast
falls over, but doesn't rip the rack off your roof.

I was working on "rapid field masts" with my VW Passat a while ago, and
I quickly found out that putting a mast up 15-25 ft, with a bit of
antenna on top and you can exceed the 50-60 lbs the rack can take as a
lateral load.

It's because there's a nice lever arm (5 ft to car roof rack, 20 ft to
antenna, gives 4:1 advantage.. ).  On your RV it will be better.

I've also built antenna mounts that hook into the hitch socket.

one thing to think about - a larger diameter aluminum tube is stronger
than a small diameter steel pipe, and a lot lighter. It's sort of a
tradeoff between storage space and wrestling it around. 15-20 ft of
steel fence top rail is a chore to move.

I've been pretty happy with the 40 foot collapsible carbon fiber masts,
and using them up to 20 ft with a moderately heavy thing on the top.
But they are flexible.