[TowerTalk] Rotator loop - another question

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Nov 20 13:23:10 EST 2020

From: N4ZR <n4zr at comcast.net>
To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator loop - another question

<In my old station, someone came up with this idea - instead of an actual
<loop, start with the rotator at mid travel and wrap at least two *loose*
<turns of RG-213 around the mast, then connect to the balun or
<feedpoint.? It worked fine with no problems in 20 years.

<It seems to me that doing it this way provides physical support for the
<loop, which could be beneficial in high winds, but when I was putting up
<my current yagi, people working with me poo-pooed the idea, and so I
<wound up with the conventional loop.? It hasn't failed yet, but...

<So, what's the informed opinion?

<73, Pete N4ZR

##  That will work, BUT... the yagi has to be high up the mast..and not 1 inch above the top bearing.
I have seen  it  done with big coax, like  LMR-1200DB, and also .875 inch heliax with yagi high up the mast.
In those cases, the loop was aprx 3 feet in diameter.

##  another  method, with yagi one inch above top bearing... is  to tape or ty rap off the  coax  out onto the boom,
like 2-3 feet  away from the  tower...then leave enough of a loop, with rotor at midpoint,  to  enable  360-400 deg rotation.

Jim   VE7RF